When it comes to recruiting the best candidates in this record-low unemployment rate, nothing less than seduction will do.
When we get back up to 10% unemployment rate, you can return to your job board “post and pray” strategy.
But until then, remember that you’re the seller, not the buyer. You’re selling an opportunity to candidates. So, it’s time to drop the attitude.
Candidates are the buyers … and they have infinite choices. Even with a recent stock market decline, the job market has never been stronger. So, if you want to hire your fair share of winners, you’ll need to invest the time and creativity to seduce them.
What do I mean?
I’m talking about making hiring differently than everyone else:
- Don’t start a conversation by trying to sell them a job. (If they’re not actively-looking, that’ll be a dead end conversation.) Instead, start by asking their career aspirations and frustrations with their current situation
- Bring out the heavy hitters (your boss, your board, your investors) to close candidates and answer their questions
- Broaden the job scope to include stretch projects (which are super-important to top candidates)
- Proactively explain your lousy Glassdoor scores (or promote your great scores, if you’ve got ‘em)
- Have your best employees create 60-second videos on their iPhone to explain why your firm is such a great place to work
- Don’t require a current resume. Simply have the candidate copy and paste their LinkedIn URL. (81% of resumes contain a lie anyway.) Get in front of the candidate, and ask questions. But make it simple for them to get to the table.
- Host informal monthly mixers at your office, featuring a guest speaker on an industry topic of interest to them. Invite every candidate you have your eye on.
- Start with your best and final offer. Don’t nickel and dime candidates. Losing a candidate for $5K and keeping the position vacant for another three months is inane.
If you need a refresher on how to seduce, you should take a look at my online course.
Recruit Rockstars: The Complete Course includes 30 short videos where I walk you thru the process step-by-step. Plus, all the downloadable templates that I use in my executive search practice. Warning: I recruit the opposite of most people. You should consider doing the same. Here’s the course.
No Replies to "Rediscover the Lost Art of Seduction"