How Long Does it Take Executives to Find Their Next Job?

exec-with-hire-me-signWe are often asked, How long does it take executives to find their next job? There are too many individual variables to factor in, but you can be certain of one thing – it takes longer than you might think.

Why is this important? It means a lot actually – emotionally and economically. For someone making $175,000+ per year, a job search that takes one month longer means $15,000 or more in lost salary. So it’s important to keep ahead of the projected landing time because it can save you tens of thousands of dollars.

This post is reserved for our Premium Access Members. Become a Premium Access Member or login if you are already an ExecuNet Premium Access Member.

Premium Members have access to over 100 live events, a searchable library of over 2,000 articles and videos, discounts on the latest books, ability to apply to all of ExecuNet's vetted executive jobs, visibility to hundreds of executive recruiters, and more…

Mark Anderson

Mark Anderson

Mark Anderson is ExecuNet's president and chief economist. An Arjay Miller Scholar, Mark received his MBA from Stanford University and a BA in economics from Yale University. He joined ExecuNet in 1993, with extensive marketing and new product and business development experience, having served as president and founder of A&M Associates, an investment management firm. Mark's corporate leadership experience includes several senior marketing and financial positions with RCA Global Communications (a GE subsidiary) and American Can Company.

1 Reply to "How Long Does it Take Executives to Find Their Next Job?"

  • David Rusin
    January 25, 2015 (11:02 am)

    I have seen statistics that on-line posting of resumes , etc. yield a 2% placement rate. It seems off-line is where the other 98% opportunity is available.

    The article suggested just go back to plain old networking with people you know, talk directly with Executive Recruiters in Global, National, Regional or local areas you may want to live. The Local Recruiters in particular were mentioned better resources as they usually have an inside edge due to their local presence and contacts. Find a company you have a interest in, send a non-HR person a letter of interest should a position opens that you would appreciate a to be contacted to discuss. Also, to network with Alumnus.

    Makes sense and the 2% placement rate; even if they are off by astandard deviation ot rtwo, would place it optimistically at 5%.

    You constantly try to get people to sign-up.

    What is your “conversion rate?” If it were illustrious, from a marketing perspective I would have it on my landing page.