You have worked very hard to get where you are. But are you happy?
It’s all too common for those at the executive level to have so many important demands on their time and energy pulling them in multiple directions. It’s also common to think that burnout, having no time, and struggling with a near-constant “running on empty” feeling is a job requirement.
It doesn’t have to be that way!
You can regain your energy to achieve heightened and sustained levels of clarity and focus in everything you do. You can increase your productivity to get more done in less time to advance your business while regaining some personal freedom.
Everything starts with energy. According to wellness expert Janet McKee, in the ExecuNet Master Class session Achieving Greater Levels of Energy, Engagement, Productivity, and Joy, anyone can have more energy, clearer thinking, more and higher-quality output, and greater happiness if they:
- Set intentions and goals for the day. Have a clear plan for each day with identified “must-dos.”
- Avoid starting with email: Own your mornings! Your inbox is filled with other people’s agendas.
- Establish clear priorities, agendas, and time-frames: Use this when involved in your meetings, so they get to the point.
- Fully engage in each activity: No multitasking. Divided attention logically doesn’t produce results as good as what your full attention would produce.
- Motivate and delegate to your team: Nurture your team and train them to take on your responsibilities. They can do it as well as you can… if you train them properly.
- Use the power of visualization: Picture success. Live as if your goals are achieved and the confidence and energy will follow. See yourself where you want to be, much like Ron Weasley did when he looked into the Mirror of Erised in the First Harry Potter movie. You’ve got to visualize the path to success so you can then follow it!
One member who listened to the Master Class live commented that “Everyone with authority should learn these skills – the workplace would be far better.” Another said this is “a good reminder about basic wellness principles.” In the class, Janet talked about the importance of sleep and nutrition – typically neglected elements causing executives to work longer and less effectively.
She also made a point to talk about deliberately choosing positive thoughts. Worry and fear are paralyzing and unproductive. Instead Janet stressed the need to choose to be positive. We all have the choice to remain positive or not. When we allow ourselves to choose negativity, we open ourselves up to energy drain and decreased productivity.
Another point that hit home for me was how important it is to do things you enjoy. That’s a fast way to feel more motivated and excited about life and productive and successful at work. I’m sure some of you remember me mentioning my fondness for hiking and kayaking. Those are my “balance finding” activities. Have you made sure you have allowed yourself to have yours?
The Master Class reminded me of the importance of people’s wellbeing. One’s wellbeing is the foundation that person builds upon; when it’s strong they have more energy, clearer thinking, more and higher quality output, and are happier. If you look after your wellbeing you’ll bring back full engagement, joy and confidence into both your personal and professional lives.
Give it a try… you’ll only be better for it!
No Replies to "Be Happier, Have More Energy, Clearer Thinking and Higher Quality Output"