ABOUT THE POSITION:
Group seeks a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to take over for the founder as the organization looks to scale and multiply the impact of its work. Reporting to the Board of Directors, this person will manage a team of 70 and oversee its growth to a team of 90.
- Lead the development of strategies and operating plans that enable Group to achieve its mission, inspiring staff, volunteers, and partners to make government work in the digital age.
- Act as primary liaison to the Board of Directors, engaging Board members in the current and future needs of the organization.
- Communicate effectively with the Board and provide, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Serve as the external face of the organization, enhancing Group’s visibility, brand recognition, and credibility.
- Act as a thought leader and advocate for making government work for the people who need it most.
Financial performance and viability
- Drive fundraising strategies and activities that lead to organizational sustainability and growth, ensuring the engagement of Group’s existing donor base while cultivating new supporters among government, corporate, foundation, and individual funding communities.
- Manage resource spending and allocation, operating within the approved budget, ensuring maximum resource utilization, and maintaining a positive financial position.
- Manage and cultivate new earned income sources for the organization, including with relevant government partners.
- Hire, retain, and mentor a high-performing, diverse team with a commitment to strong staff engagement, equity, and inclusivity.
- Executive leadership – A minimum of seven years of executive leadership experience, with a track record of success scaling organizations in the technology, government, and/or nonprofit sectors
- Ambitious (but not reductive) thinking – If it were easy to change government, someone would have already done it. A leader who holds the bold and expansive vision of government that works for all Americans and can lead an organization designed to architect that change at scale. Is also humble and curious enough to learn from almost ten years of experience by the organization and its partners about what creates lasting change
- Broad personal and professional network – Ability to activate networks towards mission goals while also integrating deeply with the network that has made Group successful to date
- Strategic thinking – Demonstrated success developing a compelling strategic vision for improving outcomes, particularly for those that need it most, and leveraging technology to achieve that vision
- Critical thinking – Ability to translate the ambitious vision for which Group was founded into an effective, testable, and evolving strategy
- Strong “TQ” (Technology Quotient) – Like IQ or EQ but refers to savvy about the digital world) – An understanding of technology/design principles, familiarity with the technology/design world, and the capacity to command the respect of a talented team, including technologists and designers across the organization (deep technical expertise is not required)
- Values-Driven – Alignment with organizational values and operating principles; demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and the ability to serve as an exemplar for an organization’s values and foster an inclusive and respectful workplace
- Strategic Leadership -- Ability to communicate our strategy internally and externally to partners, funders, and the public, with the ability to visibly demonstrate leadership and represent Group in the government and funding communities
- Team Management – Proven experience building and managing teams
- Track record of leading a performance-based culture that motivates employees to excellence and promotes accountability; capable of recruiting, mentoring, and training Group leadership.
- Ability to evolve Group’s culture - Track record of leading a performance-based culture that motivates employees to excellence and promotes accountability
- Collaborative approach to creating processes and standards that support the Group’s mission and programs
- Deeply mission-driven, with a strong belief in government as a potential force for good and a lever for change.
- Supportive, committed to mentoring others
- Collaborative and respectful
- Low ego
- Open and direct
- Unquestionable integrity