Core Function: Oversees, leads and coordinates operations of the agency personally and through the leadership team and other employees.
Reports to: Board of Directors
Direct Reports: Executive Assistant, Vice-President of Community Impact, Vice-President of Finance & Administration, Vice-President of Investor Relations
The President/CEO confronts the complex realities of the environment and simultaneously maintains faith in a different and better future, providing purpose, direction, and motivation and first ensures that the right people are in the right roles at the right times; fostering commitment, trust, and collaboration among multi-cultural leaders and stakeholders. The President/CEO understands the dynamics of local, regional, and national environments, and works on an agenda rooted in the community’s own perception of its needs and aspirations and possesses a high-level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating financial support for the organization. The President/CEO values the power of networks; striving to leverage Company’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
Specific duties, including but not limited to:
• Community Impact. The President is responsible for the overall impact of Company of Racine County on the community, with particular emphasis on increasing its capacity to drive the impact agenda. The President works closely with the Board to craft and adapt the strategy to achieve this increased impact, including raising the funds to support it. The President/CEO establishes and builds relationships with top leaders in the community, including those representing the highest levels in business, government and non-profit sectors.
• Investor Relations. The President drives key results in fundraising by identifying, cultivating and soliciting prospective donors and key leaders of prospective new corporate partners. The President/CEO leverages personal and professional contacts and relationships into fundraising opportunities, and promotes a culture of fundraising in the organization.
• Strategic Management. The President serves as the principal resource to the Board of Directors and its key committees and gives strong direction in policy formulation and interpretation. The President/CEO partners with the Board of Directors and the Company of Racine County Senior Leadership team to craft organizational goals and develop strategies to ensure that they are achieved. The position ensures coordination and alignment of all Company activities to strategic direction in the areas of community impact, resource development, and staff alignment.
• Organizational Management. The President/CEO is accountable for building and leading high-performing teams, ensuring all teams are aligned and collaborating to achieve organizational results. The position maintains accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization within policies set by the Board of Directors. The President/CEO directly supervises Senior Leadership positions and establishes individual goals. The position works with the Vice President – Finance & Administration to manage organizational spending, monitor budget compliance, and mitigate financial risks.
The position must model the competencies expected of all Company staff:
• Community and Mission Focused. Employee’s top priority is to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives employee performance and professional motivations.
• Relationship Oriented. Employee understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
• Collaborator. Employee understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
• Results Driven. Employee is dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
• Brand Steward. Employee is a steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
• Champion for Diversity. Company of Racine County is committed to diversity and inclusion. Diversity and inclusion are at the heart of what it means to LIVE UNITED.
The position must model and support the values of the organization:
• Commitment to Community Success. Make a positive difference and have a measurable impact of enduring consequence.
• Leadership. Provide strong authentic leadership and act as a visionary and catalyst for promoting positive change in our community.
• Inclusiveness. Aspire to involve every segment of the community in every aspect of work.
• Integrity and Accountability. Act with integrity that justifies trust.
•Innovation. Value innovation in community building to affect positive change.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following behaviors:
• Attendance/punctuality. Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; and arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
• Relationship Building. Strong relationship building skills and ability to work effectively with Company of Racine County donors, volunteers, agencies, and community representatives.
• Communication. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate in a variety of ways. Strong interpersonal communication skills.
• Ethical. A commitment to professional ethics and ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
• Team Work. Ability to interact with internal clients.
• Planning/Organizing. Good organizational skills with an ability to prioritize multiple tasks. Strong project management skills.
• Flexibility. Ability to adjust to unexpected assignments, difficulties, and work deadlines.
• Personable and Professional. Inspire through knowledge, demeanor and uncompromising integrity.
• Analytical. Adept at working with market research, campaign data, calculations, and situation assessment in current and potential markets.
• Competitive. A desire to win; and wants team to win, as a coach and a player.
• Intelligent. Capacity to understand complex issues adding value in the ongoing development of the community impact agenda.
• Genuine. Strong sense of emotional intelligence and calmness under stress.
• Quality. Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
• Quantity. Meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner. Works hard, works smart, works fast and gets results.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelor’s Degree required and Master’s Degree preferred.
• Substantial experience working in the nonprofit sector with Company experience desirable.
• Experience interacting with volunteers and diverse boards, or alternatively, extensive experience in the leadership and management of organizations of comparable size and mission.
• Willingness to work varied hours including evenings and weekends as needed.
• Visionary: The CEO confronts the complex realities of the environment and simultaneously maintains faith in a different and better future, providing purpose, direction, and motivation.
Initiates and leads change and transformation: Leads strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals; Establishes organizational vision and implements it effectively in a continuously changing environment.
Inspirational and persuasive communicator: Effectively communicates the purpose, direction and motivation; Communicates effectively with all stakeholders in various settings, consistently displaying clarity, confidence and passion.
Displays courage, resilience and entrepreneurial spirit: Seeks, actively pursues and maximizes growth opportunities, and requires other staff to do so; Actively seeks new ideas and opportunities from untapped sources.
Values external networks and relationships: Builds and invests in networks and external knowledge and learning opportunities.
Values continued learning and development of self and others: Creates opportunities for staff and volunteers to generate and vet innovative ideas; Allocates resources toward strategic innovation.
Team Builder: The CEO first ensures that the right people are in the right roles at the right times; fostering commitment, trust, and collaboration among multi-cultural leaders and stakeholders.
Puts people first: Understands that people are the engine that moves organization forward; Allocates time for coaching and mentoring employees in key roles and top performing talent.
Focuses staff on meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals: Provides an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts; Encourages team-work and cross-functional collaboration within the organization, and with other Companys.
Envisions the future of the organization through the development of staff and volunteer talent: Dedicates time to identifying and developing a diverse group of high-performing individuals (both volunteer and staff); Establishes clear expectations for subordinates’ performance; Recognizes and rewards employees for high quality, mission focused efforts.
Outward Turning: The CEO understands the dynamics of local, regional, and national environments, and works on an agenda rooted in the community’s own perception of its needs and aspirations.
Works across private, public, and corporate sectors to improve conditions in communities: Develops strategies and programs that align organizational priorities and actions with community aspirations; Ensures staff engages in discussion with external constituents to fully understand their needs, concerns and aspirations.
Exhibits partnership principles: Actively seeks and nurtures new relationships with diverse range of organizations and individuals to increase Company’s knowledge of community conditions.
Values inclusion, different perspectives and cultures: Establishes goals and metrics that are monitored over time to authentically track community condition and the impact of initiatives.
Politically astute: Communicates results that are achieved in advancing the community agenda; Participates in several hands-on volunteer activities each year; Uses social media network for two-way dialogue about Company’s mission and work.
Business Acumen: The Company CEO possesses a high-level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating financial support for the organization.
Mobilizes resources; is a skilled fund-raiser: Takes initiative to expand personal knowledge and skills of fundraising; Accepts accountability for personal achievements in financial resource development.
Focuses on quality, innovation, and high-performance standards: Effectively manages human, financial, and information resources in an integrated and strategic framework.
Demonstrates fiscal responsibility: Sets clear and measurable goals for top executives and the organization as a whole; consistently reviews progress towards those goals.
Is an effective, skilled negotiator: Possesses skill to co-create and co-manage with diverse partners.
Balances strategic and operational realities: Meets with business leaders in community to understand economic environment; Analyzes nonprofit and philanthropic sector trends and their impact on Company.
• Network Oriented: The CEO values the power of networks; striving to leverage Company’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
Fosters trust and interdependence and collaboration: Acts as a convener, helping community/non-profit/business leaders meet and engage with one another.
Links local, regional, national, and global perspectives: Active in regional, national, and global Company efforts that have strategic payoff for his/her organization.
Enables distributed leadership: Actively promotes and communicates within the Company network the importance of aligning around a common agenda and shared aspirations to drive network-wide results.
Leverages the power of networks: Constantly champions Company.
Knowledge of basic computer hardware and software applications including email, Internet and Microsoft Office.