Frequently Asked Questions
- Uploading a Resume
- Why should I join ExecuNet?
- The quality of our job leads is extremely high. We work with over 15,000 recruiters and employers. They keep coming back to us to post more jobs because of the quality of our candidates.
- We help you become more visible. The majority of executives find their jobs through networking. ExecuNet has 3 services to help you build your professional network: 70+ face-to-face networking meetings each month; a Recruiters’ Sourcing Network so you can be a networking contact for recruiters; and our online Member-to-Member Directory which lets you tap into thousands of executives who are willing to help one another.
- You won’t get the same know how anywhere else. ExecuNet specializes in executive-level job search and career advancement and provides the knowledge and insights that are relevant specifically to executives.
- I’m not currently looking for a job. Why should I join ExecuNet?
We know in today’s highly competitive and unpredictable economy, up to 40% of people who start a new job will be looking again within a year. Most executives change jobs every 2 – 4 years. ExecuNet provides the information that enables you to stay on top of what is happening in the executive marketplace. ExecuNet also provides a valuable professional network of executives in top companies to help you stay connected and keep your career options open. Now more than ever, it’s up to you to create your own job security and growth.
- Why should I pay? Can’t I get the same services free on other Internet sites?
Quality and results are worth paying for. Members who have experienced ExecuNet say it best:
- Job opportunities:
This is the best around, in this case you’ll get what you pay for as opposed to Monster.com which is free.” — C.F.
- Networking opportunities:
“I’m a new ExecuNet member, and this was the first networking meeting I’ve attended. I was very impressed with how you structured the meeting, enjoyed meeting all the executives there, and was frankly surprised that I walked away with three very good contacts from people at my table that know senior executives in the industries/companies I am targeting. I was also pleased that I could make two introductions to others that were at my table. Tonight was by far the most effective networking meeting I’ve attended—both in terms of giving and receiving.” — John Buckley
“Execunet has been a tremendous resource for me throughout my new career search. Not only did I respond to many leads in your jobs database, but really utilized all of your articles, knowledge center, and bookshelf areas of your website. Thank you and your team for a great executive website!” — A.O.
And Fast Company magazine agrees: It recently cited Execunet as “one of the best Web sites for executives looking for a job.” (7/03) It also called our member only newsletter, ExecuNotes, “an indispensable tool and a good reason to consider membership to the site.”
- Job opportunities:
- Why should I choose ExecuNet over other career sites?
Members who have tried ExecuNet and other sites often tell us that there is no comparison. Here’s a recent unsolicited e-mail we received:
“I’ve been on a search for 10 months. There hasn’t been a job site I haven’t been to or subscribed to in this time. Of all of them, yours has produced and continues to produce the most legitimate leads, recruiter and company calls, and face-to-face interviews. At this moment, I’m a finalist in a great opportunity that I found thru EXECUNET. Pointing my friend to your site was the best suggestion I could give him as he develops his search strategy.” — M.S.
- What about the jobs? Won’t I find the same jobs listed elsewhere?
Not likely. Many of our jobs are only listed with us, or listed with us first. But it’s a mistake to focus solely on the jobs. ExecuNet offers multiple opportunities to build and expand your professional network — the primary source (60-70%) of career opportunities for executives. In addition, ExecuNet also offers a Talent Bank, which recruiters use to find qualified executives for positions that are never posted or advertised.
- What are recruiters really looking for?
Make sure you meet the specifications. Over 92% of recruiters surveyed reported being inundated with irrelevant responses to their job postings. And the majority of resumes they received did not match the job description. Also make sure you follow the specific resume submission instructions found in the posting — 34% of those responding failed to do this.
- How do I upload my résumé?
- Make sure your résumé is a MS Word document and that it is in the final form you wish to upload. Once it is uploaded, you cannot make changes to it through our site. If you want to change it, you will have to change the one on your computer and upload it again.
- If you are maintaining confidentiality, make sure to remove your name, contact information, company name(s) and other identifying details BEFORE you upload.
- Click Browse.
- Locate your résumé document on your computer and select it (the file path will display in the Browse field).
- Title your résumé (neither the title nor the file name will be seen by recruiters).
- Click Upload
- If you wish to Link one of your résumés to your Talent Profile so that you can be found by recruiters and companies, indicate that by clicking the round radio button next to the résumé you wish to make searchable.
- I received a message stating that my document was not a MS Word document, but it is — what is going on?
This may be due to one of the following:
The system senses that the document was not originally created as a MS Word Document. We suggest the following steps:
- Copy and paste the content of that document into a new one.
- Re-save it as (or Save As) a MS Word (if .rtf displays as the default, click on the drop-down arrow for the Save As type and select .doc)
- Upload the newer version.
- I received a message stating that my document’s size is above the current limit — what is going on ?
The size limit that we have set for an uploaded résumé is 200 KB. Even if your résumé is only one or two pages long, every time a change is made on an MS Word document, that increases the document’s size.
It is possible to decrease the size by taking the following steps (again similar to “not a Word document” task):
- Copy the whole document
- Paste into a brand new document
- Save as a brand new document
- Upload the newer version
Because the new document does not carry as much history as the original, it is a smaller file.
- I am a Mac user, and for some reason I am unable to upload my résumé — what is going on?
There is an uploading issue with some Mac OS X users. The workaround for now is to e-mail your résumé to us at email@example.com and we will upload it for you.
- How do I remain completely confidential?
If you wish to remain completely confidential:
- In responding to jobs with a résumé, WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU NOT UPLOAD your confidential résumé to our site but maintain it on your own computer. When responding to jobs, it is easy to attach your confidential résumé from your computer using the Browse button and this assures you do not accidentally send the wrong résumé from our site.
- We also DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU MAKE A résumé SEARCHABLE by recruiters. For information on how to confidentially make your background, experience and skills searchable by recruiters, go to the My Member Profile and Talent Profile pages.
All personal information given to ExecuNet is kept in strictest confidence.
Personal information you provide us is used solely by ExecuNet and is never sold or given to third parties for any purpose without your approval. We collect this information merely to enable us to better serve your needs, to inform you about updates to ExecuNet services, and to alert you to products and services that we believe may be of interest to you.
We are strongly committed to protecting your privacy online and have taken steps to protect the information you share with us. For example, we use SSL encryption technology to safeguard your credit card data when used in electronic commerce transactions. To help us protect your privacy, you should maintain the secrecy of username and password you may have set up in connection with your participation in any ExecuNet service.
- ExecuNet’s Privacy Commitment
ExecuNet is committed to protecting the privacy of our users. We want to provide a safe, secure user experience. We will use our best efforts to ensure that the information you submit to us remains private, and is used only for the purposes as set forth herein.
This policy does not apply to the practices of companies that ExecuNet does not own or control, or to people that ExecuNet does not employ or manage.
- Using ExecuNet Connections
ExecuNet encourages members to contact other members to enhance and expand their network, to refer or recommend a resource or service, and to pass along information that is deemed beneficial. We ask that you please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Broadband solicitation to the ExecuNet membership for sale of products or services that result in personal gain or are for the enrichment of the company they work for is not allowed. Example: Dissemination of an e-mail to the membership to gain clients for legal advice, financial services, multi-level marketing firms, etc.
- Broadband solicitation to the ExecuNet membership to express a personal, religious or political point of view, or to elicit member opinions is not allowed. Example: fund raising requests, flyers of any type, surveys and questionnaires.
- Examples of allowed solicitations to the membership: job postings, asking for company information, asking for information on an individual, recent announcement on new government policy on extending unemployment benefits, etc. (Contacts are limited to 100 members per week.)
- ExecuNet has established a Referral Center on the Members Only website where our members may communicate to the membership benefits that may be of value to the membership even though such benefits may also result in personal gain. Examples currently on the website: career coaches, resume writers, conference calling services, guide to self-employment, etc.
ExecuNet reserves the right to monitor and terminate any contact and/or solicitation it considers compromising to its membership or its position. Please report inappropriate communications to our Member Services Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Should Member Services receive five or more complaints regarding inappropriate communications from a member, ExecuNet reserves the right to terminate access to Networking privileges.
- Information Collection
When you register as a member of ExecuNet, we ask for several kinds of personal information, such as: your name, e-mail address, zip code, career level, occupation, industry, and functional interests. ExecuNet also automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser including your Internet Protocol (IP) address, ExecuNet cookie information, and the page you requested. ExecuNet uses this information for four general purposes: to customize the content you see, to fulfill your requests for certain products and services, to inform you about updates to ExecuNet services, and to alert you to products and services that we believe may be of interest to you.
- Information About All ExecuNet Visitors
In general, we gather information about all of our users collectively, such as what areas users visit most frequently and what services users access the most. We only use such data anonymously and in the aggregate. This information helps us determine what is most beneficial for our users, and how we can continually create a better overall experience for you. We may share this information with our partners, but only in the aggregate, so that they too may understand how ExecuNet visitors use our site.
- Information About You Specifically
In some instances, when you sign up to use a service, respond to an offer, or purchase a product, for example, we may need more specific information about you, such as name, address, phone number, e-mail address, credit card number, etc. During your visit to ExecuNet, we may also ask you for other information, such as information on your interests, your likes and dislikes regarding the site, the types of negotiations and career information you are interested in, etc., in an effort to deliver to you the best possible site experience.
ExecuNet also provides you with the opportunity to opt-out of various types of communications. If you choose to receive these types of communications at the time of registration, but later decide you no longer want to receive them, simply communicate your preferences to our Member Services Team either via phone or e-mail.
- General Information Disclosure
We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples may include hosting our web servers, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, processing credit card payments, and providing other services. These other companies will have access to your personal information as necessary to perform their functions, but they may not share that information with any third party.
- Updating Account Information
ExecuNet allows you to change or correct your personal information at any time. To do so, simply call our Member Services Team at 800-637-3126 and you will be able to update the information you have submitted.
- Online Order Security
When you place an order online, your personal details and credit card information are scrambled using SSL encryption technology before being sent over the Internet. Although we cannot guarantee encryption or the privacy of your personal details and credit card information, SSL makes it very difficult for your information to be stolen or intercepted while being transferred.
Our credit card transactions are processed by Verisign (http://www.verisign.com). All information sent to Verisign is in the secure SSL environment, which will protect it against disclosure to third parties. When we receive your order, it is on an SSL server.
- Privacy Commitment Changes
If we decide to change our privacy commitment for ExecuNet, we will post those changes here so that you will always know what information we gather, how we might use that information, and whether we will disclose it to anyone. If, at any time, you have questions or concerns about ExecuNet’s privacy commitment, please feel free to e-mail us at email@example.com or call 800-637-3126 and speak to one of our representatives.
ExecuNet uses reasonable precautions to keep the personal information disclosed to us secure. However, we are not responsible for any breach of security.